Island Transportation - Rental Cars
Paid parking (parking meters) has recently been implemented in the downtown area of Oranjestad.
The paid parking spaces are centralized around the Caya Betico Croes, also known as
the Mainstreet and the parking area near the downtown marinas, and made visible by white
registration numbers. The yellow lined
parking spaces are for employees only and are not available for regular parking.
The tariffs are in Aruban Florins but you can also pay with U.S. money:
- 30 min: 1 AWG (U.S. $0.55)
- 90 min: 2 AWG (U.S. $1.15)
- 90+ min: AWG 0.50 cents for every additional 15 minutes (U.S. $0.30)
After 3 hours of unpaid parking, a tow truck will remove your vehicle to an impound lot and an additional charge of AWG 150, will be charged to you.
You can pay your parking fines at the Aruparking office:
Address: Wilhelminastraat 13 in downtown Oranjestad.
Telephone: (297) 5202323
There is an abundance of international and local car rental companies but only 10 of them operate from the airport. Others have a shuttle service between their office and the airport.
We recommend the following car rental providers:
Ruba Car Rental
Open 8 am - 9 pm
Vans, Sedans and Genuine Jeep Wranglers
More4less Car Rental
Genuine Jeep Wranglers, Toyotas and Ford Escorts
Phone 993-2864 / 993-3849
If you are adventurous and want to explore all Aruba has to offer, you should rent a four-wheel drive vehicle. The roads to many great sites are often rugged and not suitable for a car. Make sure you have a spare tire and a tire jack in good condition before heading out into the rough terrain. Try to book your 4X4 well in advance to avoid disappointment.
If you want air-conditioning and plan to stick to the main paved roads, there are many types of cars to choose from. You can rent your vehicle at the airport or you can call and ask to be picked up at your hotel.
When renting a vehicle please note:
- Driving is on the right-hand side of the road
- The minimum age of 21-25 and the maximum of 65-70 vary slightly by company
- International driving license or any valid license held for at least two full years is required
- Unlimited mileage; all rates subject to change without notice
- Deposit of US $500 or open signed credit card
- Windsurf roof racks upon availability and upon request
- Pick up service available, with some exceptions, at the cruise terminal
- Insurance recommended, but does not cover a vehicle accident if the driver is intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance